Guest starring Linkara as the Merchant
Go watch Atop The 4th Wall.
- The actor playing "a loner" on the TV from the flashback sounds just like Jean-Claude Magnum. It is not confirmed whether they are the same character.
- The title of the episode is taken from the book and film Requiem for a Dream.
- The music that plays with Joey's nyehs is "Lux Aeterna" by Clint Mansell, from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack.
- The cards shown in the beginning all portray people from That Guy with the Glasses, which recently became a partner site of YGO Abridged:
- TheSpoonyOne (as Doctor Insano)
- TheDudette (as the Nostalgia Chick)
- ThatGuyWithTheGlasses (as the Nostalgia Critic)
- The first scene is a direct reference to the (not yet released at the time) Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D Bonds Beyond Time movie. Kaiba compares it to Avatar.
- Yugi compares Marik to Charles Manson, who was serving a life sentence for conspiracy to murder at the time the episode was released. Like Marik, Manson suffers from a number of mental disorders.
- The song that plays in Ishizu's flashback is a parody of Cat's in the Cradle by Harry Chapin.
- The parody refers to General Zod, an archenemy of Superman.
- Marik reveals he is a fan of the Disney version of The Little Mermaid and wants to "go to the surface and befriend a seagull and fight a giant octopus and maybe fall in love with a handsome prince", all things the protagonist of the film does.
- Marik complains that he and Ishizu haven't visited Splash Mountain.
- Ishizu warns Marik about showing his Yaoi in public.
- When Marik appears in spirit next to Bakura and says the line "That's my bread and butter you're (eff)ing with", he is making a reference to the Adult Swim cartoon Metalocalypse. The line has been said during both season finales so far in the series.
- The sound clip at the end comes from Anchorman.