The Battle City Tournament starts off with a bang as Yugi goes head to head with a rather forgettable henchman, Joey feels the ANIMOSITY~!, and Mokuba starts down the treacherous journey into kidulthood which means he believes that he is a Pokemon. Also, John Zhang.
... GOD DAMN IT.
- The exchange between Yami and Marik concerning his evil motives is a reference to the fact that in the Japanese anime, Marik wanted to kill the Pharaoh, but in the 4Kids version, his goal was to rule the world.
- Mai has somehow forgotten that she has won two duels (one against Rex Raptor, and one against a man in a bee costume), perhaps because they were offscreen.
- This is the second time Mai is said never to have won a duel; the first time was during the Card Game Channel transmission.
- The title of the episode is a reference to the TV series Pokémon.
- Mokuba thinking that he is a Pokémon is a reference to episode 27 of the first season of Pokémon, where all of the children were hypnotized to believe that they were Pokémon themselves.
- Mokuba's first word was "Bulbasaur" which is a reference to his voice actor from the English dub Tara Sands, who also voiced Bulbasaur in Pokemon.
- The scene change from Yugi referring to his victory over Jaden Yuki to KaibaCorp is a reference to Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.